A genuine Neapolitan pizza is more than just a meal; it’s a trip through history, tradition, and a taste of Italy’s rich culinary heritage.
However, why restrict yourself to eating at restaurants when you can learn how to make Neapolitan pizza in your own kitchen?
Imagine the tempting aroma of freshly baked pizza dough blending with the savoury flavours of tomatoes and mozzarella to make the best Neapolitan pizza the ultimate culinary delight.
Let’s delve into the steps that turn simple ingredients into a symphony of flavours, enabling you to make this Italian masterpiece in your home.
What is Neapolitan Pizza?
The classic Italian dish known as Neapolitan pizza, also called “pizza Napoletana,” has captured the hearts of all pizza lovers worldwide.
This well-known meal, rooted in Naples, is prepared according to a tried-and-true Neapolitan pizza recipe that is simple and authentic.
Moreover, when baked in a hot Neapolitan pizza oven, the precisely hand-kneaded dough produces a soft, airy, and slightly chewy crust.
Neapolitan pizza is a delicious indulgence emphasizing quality above quantity, even if the number of calories in Neapolitan pizza could vary depending on the toppings used.
So, let’s find out the recipe for pizza Neapolitan.
Neapolitan Pizza Dough Ingredients
Here are the ingredients of Neapolitan pizza dough:
- 500g (about 4 cups) Tipo 00 flour (highly refined Italian flour)
- 325ml (1 1/3 cups) lukewarm water
- 7g (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
- 10g (1 1/2 tsp) salt
- Pinch of sugar
Best Neapolitan Pizza Dough Recipe
The following are steps to make Neapolitan pizza dough:
- Combine lukewarm water with a pinch of sugar in a small bowl. Pour the yeast over the water, then wait 5 to 10 minutes until it foams.
- Combine the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Fill the centre with a well and add the yeast mixture.
- A dough will form after thoroughly combining the ingredients. Turn it onto a floured surface and knead it for about 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Shape the dough into a ball and set it in a bowl that has been lightly oiled. Put some plastic wrap or a damp towel over the bowl.
- Give it approximately an hour or so to rise or once the dough has doubled in size.
Neapolitan Pizza Toppings Ingredients
The Neapolitan pizza toppings ingredients are mentioned below:
- 1 can (400g) San Marzano tomatoes (or fresh San Marzano tomatoes if available)
- Salt to taste
- Fresh basil leaves
- Fresh mozzarella cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
Easy Steps to Make Neapolitan Pizza
You can make a delicious Neapolitan pizza by following the simple steps below:
- If you’re using canned tomatoes, drain and hand-crush them, and if you’re using fresh San Marzano tomatoes, blanch, peel, and crush them.
- Add some fresh basil leaves to the sauce and some salt once the tomatoes have been smashed. Mix well and reserve.
- To ensure the oven and the stone are properly heated, place a pizza stone or an upside-down baking sheet in the oven and preheat it to its highest temperature (often approximately 500°F or 260°C) for at least 30 minutes.
- Separate the risen dough into small parts (about 200–250g each). Each part should be formed into a round ball and rest for 15 to 20 minutes, covered on a floured surface.
- Create a thin, round crust for each dough ball on a surface sprinkled with flour, leaving a thicker border around the edges.
- Transfer the stretched dough to a floured baking sheet or pizza peel.
- Leave a border around the edges as you evenly spread the tomato sauce over the dough.
- Shred and sprinkle the fresh mozzarella cheese on top of the sauce.
- Bake the pizza for 2-4 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling and the dough is puffy and slightly browned.
- Once the pizza is done, take the pizza out of the oven.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil leaves, then drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
- Slice and serve your mouthwatering homemade Neapolitan pizza right away.
In conclusion, learning how to make Neapolitan pizza at home is a gratifying endeavour combining tradition, creativity, and a shared fondness for exceptional flavours.
By following the instructions in this recipe, you are not only preparing an amazing meal but also preserving a culinary heritage.
So, why settle for a mediocre pizza when you can enjoy a true Neapolitan feast?
Indulge in Neapolitan delight with our Top Recipes!