Delve into the vibrant world of culinary delights with the ever-so-exotic and deliciously tantalizing yellow rice. This simple yet delectable dish can instantly transport you to a place where flavour, culture, and colour intertwine.
Originating from different corners of the globe, including Spain, the Caribbean, and Southeast Asia, yellow rice has become a staple side dish celebrated worldwide for its beautiful hues and tantalizing aroma.
It’s an explosion of flavour, blending the earthiness of turmeric or saffron with the comfort of fluffy, perfectly cooked rice. Whether accompanying your favourite curry, starring in your weeknight dinner, or livening up your BBQ spread, this yellow spectacle never fails to add a pinch of merriment.
With the following easy-to-follow recipe, you’ll master the art of preparing this festive dish quickly.
Recipe: How to Make Yellow Rice?
Follow the simple to prepare the recipe.
- 2 cups of long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil or butter
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 4 cups of chicken broth (vegetable broth for a vegan option)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Begin by rinsing the rice under cold water until the water runs clear. This step is important as it removes excess starch and prevents the rice from clumping together.
- Heat the vegetable oil or butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add the finely chopped onion, and sauté until it becomes translucent and soft. This should take around 3-4 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic to the pan and sauté for another minute until it releases its wonderful aroma. Make sure not to burn the garlic, as it can become bitter.
- Next, add the rice to the pan, stirring well to ensure each grain is coated with the oil. This step is key to giving the final dish its rich and distinctive flavour.
- Now, it’s time to introduce colour and warmth to our dish. Add the turmeric, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Stir well to ensure the spices evenly coat the rice.
- Pour in the chicken broth and add the bay leaf. Give it a good stir, increase the heat, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover the saucepan, and let the rice simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the liquid is fully absorbed and the rice is tender.
- After 20 minutes, remove the saucepan from the heat. Allow the rice to sit, covered, for an additional 5 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf and fluff the rice gently with a fork to separate the grains. This also helps to distribute the flavours more evenly.
- And voila! Your vibrant, flavorful yellow rice is ready to be served.
This yellow rice is perfect as a side dish for your favourite entrées, or it can stand alone as a light main course. The beautifully balanced flavours and eye-catching colour make it a wonderful addition to any meal. Happy cooking!
How to Make Yellow Rice in a Rice Cooker?
Yellow rice, also known as saffron rice, is a vibrant and flavorful dish that adds a touch of colour and aroma to any meal. With the convenience of a rice cooker, you can easily prepare this delightful dish without much effort.
In this recipe, we’ll guide you step-by-step on how to make yellow rice in a rice cooker. Enjoy the enticing fragrance and delicious taste of homemade yellow rice!
To make yellow rice in a rice cooker, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped (optional, for garnish)
Measure 2 cups of long-grain white rice and rinse it under cold water until it runs clear. This step helps remove any excess starch and ensures fluffy rice.
Sauté the aromatics. Place the rice cooker pot inside the rice cooker and turn it on. Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and heat it on the sauté setting. Add the finely chopped onion, minced garlic, and sauté until they become translucent and fragrant.
Add the spices. Once the onions and garlic have cooked, add 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander, and 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the pot.
Stir the spices into the onion and garlic mixture, allowing the flavours to meld together for about a minute.
Add the rice and broth. Now, add the rinsed rice to the pot and mix it well with the sautéed onion and spices. Pour 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth, providing the necessary liquid for rice cooking.
Cook the rice. Secure the lid on the rice cooker and set it to the regular rice cooking mode. Let the rice cook undisturbed until the rice cooker switches to the warm setting, indicating that the rice is fully cooked.
This process usually takes 15-20 minutes, but cooking times may vary depending on your rice cooker model.
Fluff and garnish. Once the rice is cooked, carefully open the rice cooker lid. Use a fork to fluff the rice gently, separating the grains.
Taste the rice and add salt as needed to suit your preferences. If desired, sprinkle some freshly chopped cilantro or parsley on top for extra freshness and colour.
Serve and enjoy Your fragrant and flavorful yellow rice is now ready to be served! This aromatic side dish pairs well with various main courses, such as grilled chicken, beef stew, or vegetable curry.
Spoon the yellow rice onto plates or bowls and serve it hot. Savour each bite as you enjoy the delightful blend of spices and the vibrant yellow hue of the rice.
The yellow rice is just fantastic and flavourful. To learn how to make yellow rice, follow the simple directions in the blog post and enjoy this amazing recipe.
In addition, this blog post also covered various other aspects of yellow rice, and you can cook the recipe on a stovetop or rice cooker.
In a nutshell, yellow rice is simple to prepare; you need to follow the directions carefully.
Besides, you can also enjoy some other recipes with these easy directions, like chicken and yellow rice, Spanish yellow rice, yellow Spanish rice, Mexican yellow rice, Indian yellow rice, and many other versions of the rice.
To learn more recipes, stay in touch and have more versions of the rice.
What is yellow rice made of?
Is yellow rice healthy?
Is yellow rice healthier than white rice?
What is different about yellow rice?
How does rice become yellow?
How do you dye white rice yellow?